Quiche is an “egg-thicken” dish and tastes something like macaroni and cheese to me, but without the macaroni. Almost any savory ingredient can create a delicious quiche. It works great with left over’s. A simple technique for creating your own quiche is to use meat, cheeses, and vegetable or herb. Be careful not to add too much ingredients, otherwise your quiche won’t cook properly. The measurements below work perfect in creating a great tasting, well cooked quiche.
Sliced or cubed pancetta can be used. Be sure to cut it before browning.
Start by browning pancetta.
Saute onions and mushrooms and return pancetta back to pan.
Whisk eggs, cream, nutmeg, salt and pepper until blended.
Start filling the bottom of the piecrust with pancetta mixture.
Layer on the basil and cheeses.
Slowly pour the egg mixture over the layered ingredients.
Bake at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes.
Quiches are so simple and fast to cook.
Pancetta Feta Mushroom Basil Quiche
- 2 ready made 9-inch single-crust pie shells, defrosted
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 4 oz pancetta, cube or chopped
- 1 ½ cup mushrooms, Bella or White
- ½ cup basil, chopped
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1-cup feta cheese
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1-teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Using a fork, poke several holes on bottom of piecrust. Place piecrust on baking sheet and bake in oven for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Reduce the oven heat to 375 degrees.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the pancetta until lightly browned and remove. Leave grease from pancetta and add onion and mushrooms and sauté until soft for approximately 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add to pancetta.
- Spoon the pancetta, mushroom and onion mixture into the bottom of pie shells. Add half of each of the following into pie shells, basil, Parmesan cheese, and feta cheese.
- In a large mixing bowl, lightly beat the eggs; whisk in the cream. Stir in the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- I suggest pouring egg mixture into a large measuring cup. Slowly pour mixture into pie shells.
- Carefully place quiches on a baking sheet and bake for 20 – 25 minutes until a knife inserted 1 inch from the pie edges comes out clean. Remove and let stand 5 to 10 minutes before serving.