During the summer on weekend mornings, we are normally out of the house early, either heading to the beach or for a day on the boat. To help reduce time preparing breakfast this past weekend, I decided to try making muesli, a chilled oatmeal made with rolled oats, yogurt, fruit, nuts, and skim milk. Rolled oats are soaked in skim milk overnight and in the morning final preparation is minimal. Having a quick, utterly delicious breakfast that is healthy, helps make getting out of the house a whole lot quicker.
This muesli is filled with flavor from apples, bananas, dried cherries, and almonds, and is topped with a sweet raspberry puree.
If you have been following this blog, you may recall the picture I shared in my chilled avocado soup post, of a hummingbird nest with two eggs in it. Several weeks ago, the eggs successfully hatched and we have been watching our precious baby hummingbirds grow.
Most mornings I like to check up on the baby birds. This past Friday morning, I performed my usual check, but this time the nest was askew and the birds were gone. Overhead, a huge black crow was flying around and squawking. I was very distraught over the thought that the crow ate those adorable baby hummingbirds as his breakfast. Well, over the weekend my hubby noticed two small hummingbirds flying around our yard. We observed them closely and realized that they were our babies! I was thrilled to know that the crow hadn’t eaten them after all.
Muesli With Raspberry Puree
- 2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 3/4 cups skim milk
- 1/2-cup whole plain yogurt
- 1 banana, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large apple
- 1/4 cup dried cherries or raisins
- Squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- ½-cup slivered almonds
For the puree:
- 2 cups fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a bowl, pour the skim milk over the oats to cover. Let soak overnight, covered, in the fridge.
- The next day, combine the raspberries and sugar in a small pan. Place over medium heat and cook until the raspberries become soft, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
- Grate the apple and squeeze the lemon or lime juice on top to prevent discoloration. Add the grated apple, banana pieces, dried cherries, and yogurt to the soaked oats then stir. Top with raspberries puree and slivered almonds. Muesli can be kept for 2 to 3 days refrigerated.