This is a perfect dish for a summer night when you don’t want to be in the kitchen cooking. On weekends, I like to prepare this authentic flavored Mexican marinade with chicken breast prior to heading out to the beach for the day. Chicken breast marinate in the refrigerator during day, so all that I have to do for dinner is make some of my fast pico de gallo, and maybe some Mexican rice pilaf, while hubby grills the chicken.
Within minutes we have a delicious fiesta-in-our-mouth chicken that is so moist and tender.
I took this picture during an early morning bike ride on the strand. It was nice to be able to come home from a long day at the beach and make an easy grilled chicken dinner that was so full of mexican flavors from marinating all day in a cilantro and lime marinate.
Cilantro-Lime Grilled Chicken
- 4 to 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- ¼ cup fresh limejuice
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1-½ teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2-teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Fresh fast pico de gallo, sour cream, and tortillas for serving
- Lay chicken in a single layer and cover between two sheets of plastic wrap or place in large zip lock bag. Using a mallet, lightly pound chicken breast to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Place chicken in a new 1-gallon zip lock bag or in a shallow dish prior and set aside while preparing the marinade.
- To prepare the marinade, in a bowl, combine the limejuice, olive oil, garlic, chopped cilantro, brown sugar, salt, cumin, and pepper and whisk until thoroughly blended. Pour the marinade over the chicken and seal the zip lock bag, or if using a shallow dish, cover. Allow chicken to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour or up to 8 hours. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare charcoal grill, or preheat a gas grill on medium.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and drain off the excess marinade. Brush the grill grate with vegetable oil. Grill chicken uncovered for about 5 to 8 minutes on each side, until tender and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a knife.
- Remove the chicken from the grill and transfer to a platter. Spoon some fast pico de gallo over each portion, followed by a dollop of sour cream. Serve immediately with corn or flour tortillas and enjoy the fiesta-in-your-mouth!